Thursday, July 7, 2022

Quick Check-in with JimBob

 


--It's time a for a quick check-in with JimBob and his pal DeltaMae.

--JimBob, tell us how you're doing these days.

"First, let me thank you for not tilting your head to one side while asking how I'm feeling.  It's a fair question, but, Lord, it's hard to answer.  As someone living with ALS, I never know how to respond to the 'feeling' question.  Emotionally? Physically? Mentally? Spiritually? 

--I can see that.

"I have relevant data to share from each domain, but where to begin."

--uh huh.

"Most days I just smile and say, 'Oh, I'm fine.'"  

--yeah, I get that.

(Silence) 

--JimBob....

"Yes?"

--JimBob, back to the question:  how are you doing? 

"Besides fine?"

--Yes, besides fine.  Tell us how you are doing?  We care about you. We truly want to know how you are doing.

"Well, I'm not happy about this ALS mess."

--I imagine not.

"And, I'm not depressed or anxious.  Praise God for Zoloft."

--The world is a better place since Zoloft.  I'll grant you that.

"I have a new brace for Lefty which makes it 100 times easier to type."

--Excellent.

"Physical therapy is fixing the adhesive capsulitis in my left shoulder, so I'm not in pain anymore, and I'm sleeping all night with Peggy in my arms.  I can wash my hair with both hands again."

--Terrific.

"I've written about my double-life."

--Yeah, that was a tad dark.

"I know.  Sorry about that."

--No worries. You're good.

"The ALS falderal is ever-present, you know.  It has a way of being a constant storm."

--ALS falderal?

"The forms, the emails, the decisions, the disappointments, and all the problem-solving with lousy options."

--Oof.

"Yeah, sorry."

--No worries at all.  Sounds like a ton of work.

"And stress.  Thank God for Peggy."

--Amen to that.  And DeltaMae.

"DeltaMae loves our morning contemplation.  It might look like she's sleeping, but I know better."

--Right.

"I'm learning to slow down, and to welcome joy."

--Good.  

"I'm remembering to linger in the holy moments, and be grateful."

--Lovely.

"Oh, I can't forget to mention that The Hummingbird Fund is taking off.  We've hired a Program Coordinator for Outreach and Advocacy." 

--Excellent

"The Hummingbird Fund is clearly my next gig, and I can't tell you how happy that makes me feel."

--Brilliant.

"Hey, thanks for asking."

--You betcha.  Peace... Out.

"Peace..Out"










No comments:

Post a Comment